There is never a shortage of mistakes that you can make when you’re running a business.
Here are a few things I did wrong (way wrong).
- Switched my site to WP Multisite: This was made because I had some vague notion of having a Wikipedia section up, and I was gung ho. 1/3 of my plugins (and I don’t use too many) worked differently and authentication busted.
- Didn’t buy groceries the day after I returned home: This led to fast food too much, and “justifiable” purchases. Not all of it’s bad, but I wound up eating poorly, especially on Thursday.
- Let ShutterStock automatically renew. For some reason we needed some stock on Shutterstock. I let it auto renew instead of canceling it after a month. There’s some good stuff on there, but it’s not worth the $200.
- Let PayPal debit from an old business account: At the start of the year, I switched accounts, and PayPal debited out of a closed account. It wound up causing the account to reopen and I could either pay $78 in fees or spend forever arguing about it.
- Underpriced a change order: We had a change order requested by a good client. I underpriced it because I figured they’d all be simple, and it wound up being something I paid for.
- Spent hours configuring WordPress: Instead of working with a stock theme, I tried to configure WordPress behind a set of standards that I never gave a shit about.
- Spent a day procrastinating the building of a new schedule: I needed to update my schedule so I could perform like a champion, but instead, I screwed around with it. The work would have taken 1.5 hours, +/- but I never got to it, and that was the tough part.
- I drank a gallon of Coffee on Wednesday. Couldn’t sleep, hit snooze on Thursday. This meant I was out of sorts on my whole schedule. All of it would have been prevented by a 30 minute nap.
- Didn’t schedule any time to read: I’m at my best when I’m reading 1-2 hours a day. This week that got away from me, and the rest of my week suffered.
- Rolled out a cheap version of my product: I sell videos between $8,000 and $15,000. I have a reliable offshore vendor that can do this for cheaper, and we decided to reduce some fees, and this meant that we undercut ourself like idiots.
All of this is on the business side (or largely so). I also picked did other dumb stuff, like picking a severe fight with my parents, and overreacted to a routine thing that my kids did. And I made this post that will make me look like a dope.
But, if we’re trying to cultivate transparency, why not.